blog background

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

5 Months!

I know this is late, but as stated in the other post, things have been crazy lately.  And...apparently I need to figure out the new blogger editor and see if there's a way to keep putting the photo in the corner and still be able to write around it... but for now, I guess you will just have to be content with pictures at the end. =)

Well, Emmett's 5 month birthday, if you will, started with a bang.  Or rather, much screaming.  He had been up most of the night previous just absolutely screaming.  If I held him, I could get him to calm down and sleep a little, but whenever I tried to put him down, he just absolutely shrieked.  Not whiney 'I-don't-want-to-go-to-sleep' cries, but ear piercing 'Something-is-wrong' bellows.  It was horrible.  Especially since we had JUST moved down here and hadn't gotten a doctor for him yet.  And, I had to go to work that day.  Thankfully, one of my aunts told my mom about a clinic in Kennewick that allowed walk-ins and (I believe) semi-specialized in pediatrics.  Oh, and they opened at 8.  Hallelujah!  We ran over there and were there AT 8.  We told the doctor we thought he might have an ear infection because he'd been pulling a little at his ear and when he would burp he would just start to scream.  So she took a look, and he had not one ear infection, but two.  Poor little man.  No wonder he was hurting.  She gave us a prescription for antibiotics and some ear drops.  Once he got the meds, he slept ALL day.  And all night.  I'm just super glad he wasn't screaming all day; I would have felt bad if I'd left him with a sitter with him just shrieking.  Within a couple of days, he was all but over it.  Whew!  We survived the first ear infection!

Now for the list of recent accomplishments:
  • He discovered his tongue the other day.  It was hilarious; most of the day his tongue was just sticking out.  And then, when I brought the camera up to get a picture of it, he stopped doing it. =(  Hopefully he'll do it again.
  • He jumps like CRAZY in his jumperoo!  He will stay in there for half an hour or more, just jumping away.  It is adorable!
  • He likes watching TV.  I've really been trying to keep the TV off more because I don't want him to turn into a couch potato, but he definitely enjoys watching the moving images on the screen.
  • He enjoys having the dog to look at.  This morning he was laying on the floor and the dog would come look at him and he'd just look at her and try and reach out to her.  And whenever I'd try and get a picture, the darn dog would move away.  Oh well.
  • Lately he has been sucking his thumb A LOT.
  • He LOVES solid food.  His favorite by far is banana, but he also likes green beans, peas, squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, and apples.  Which includes all the foods he's tried so far; he has not met a food he doesn't like.  Or at least, one that he refuses to eat.  He actually seems to really like green beans and peas.
  • He has started to not mind tummy time sometimes.  There are still times where he immediately starts fussing when we lay him on his tummy, but most of the time he'll lay there looking around for a while before he wants to be flipped over.
  • When he wants to lay back and he's sitting up, he'll very forcefully try and push himself backwards.  Although sometimes he does the push backward/arching his back thing when he's upset.
  • He smiles and laughs a lot.  It's adorable.  Sometimes we can get him to laugh by saying something or playing peek-a-boo.
I know there is probably more, (and that I say this like every month) but they are just not coming to me.  We are so grateful for our little man and for his sweet spirit.  Enjoy the pictures!



1 comment: